Have you ever mentally written a blog post or two(dozen), then forgot to actually sit down and type it(them) up? Yeah, that’s me. 😛 I have been terrible about posting the last few months, but let’s just jump right back in shall we?
First: The Documented Life Project. (check out Art to the 5th’s blog for more info) I’m sure many of you have heard about it, and are possibly participating. Instead of buying a planner I decided to make one, and I posted a few pics on instagram and flickr when I was done. I got some questions about how I made it, so I thought I would explain a bit.
I used 80lb. sketch paper for the signatures, I sewed the signatures to two layers of unbleached muslin, then glued that onto some heavy chipboard. I covered the inside and the outside of the covers with some scrapbook paper, and used black duct tape to cover the spine. If that’s confusing, I hope the pictures help explain it a bit. I didn’t think to take any pictures during construction, but hopefully you can see what I mean.
I used gelli prints for my tabs and stamped the months on with StayzOn ink.
The spine is duct tape, and if I need to expand the book as it fills, I can easily cut the tape down the middle and add more. I left room between the signatures when I sewed them to the muslin so they are able to expand as well, just in case.
The picture above shows the muslin the signatures are sewn to, glued to the inside of the back cover and then covered with patterned scrapbook paper.
A bit of a break during the picture taking for the supervisor to do her thing, quality testing and what not 🙂
I haven’t kept up on all of the challenges, but I taped in inserts for them that I can come back to later. A smart idea would be to write down what the challenges are that I missed on post it notes and stick it on the back of the inserts…I should probably do that, lol.
I have completed a handful of the prompts:
Second: A drawing I did in my art journal that I’m pretty happy with. Haven’t decided yet if I want to add color with colored pencils or water color. Maybe both.
And third : I got some cans of spray paint the other day and had a field day playing with them! I had a few krylon already, but had never used them, and Michael’s had some of the liquitex spray paints on clearance so I grabbed a couple. I can’t believe I haven’t played with these before!
I also spray painted some glass bottles to use as vases on our mantel. The paint doesn’t stick real well to the bottles without a clear coat, but I love how they turned out. A couple of colorful fake flowers, and now our mantel is looking pretty 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by!!